Sunday, April 5, 2009

First Anniversary

It's been a year.

On April 5th 2008 he passed away from Motor Neuron Disease. Without a doubt the most hideous disease that can inflict someone. A year after diagnosis he passed away after the bravest fight. In fact we had trouble getting him help as he kept bragging how well he was doing, that he could still get himself dressed even though it took him 1 1/2 hours. How we shuddered when he kept driving!!

Poor Suey was the one that had to keep going to the Chinese butcher to get meat for the cats because no other butcher had cuts of meat that were good enough for the cats.

Up until the end he was the bravest person I have ever met.

When he was first diagnosed he said to me my greatest fear is being unable to move and having you girls sitting around me, talking non stop and not being able to tell you to shut up. Then when the end was in sight and he was drifting away, we were sitting around him talking non stop, I asked him if he wanted us to shut up and go outside, he said no I love looking at your beautiful faces.

It is one of life's weirdest privileges to be with somebody when they take their last breath.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thinking of you today... I didn't realize how quick it was for him, from diagnosis until his passing. :(

Cheryl said...

Thinking about you and sending {{hugs}}.